Fisherman eats “botete”, dies

PAGUDPUD, Ilocos Norte, Dec. 10–A fisherman died after eating a botete (pufferfish or blowfish) served as pulotan (finger food) during a drinking spree in their coastal village here last Friday night.
Chief Inspector Lawrence Ganuelas, town police chief, said the victim, 35, married, of Brgy. 1 this town, went fishing together with several friends and brought home the botete, a part of their catch of the day.

He cooked the botete for pulotan. He ate the botete’s bogi (tiny eggs) while his drinking mates consumed the fish flesh.

When he complained about a sudden severe headache, his friends rushed him for treatment to the hospital where he expired.

The victim’s 13-year-old son also partly ate the finger food and was hospitalized due to alleged toxic affliction.

Reports said the fisherfolks here used to eat botete for pulotan but this time they were surprised why it turned poisonous. (tri-media report)