- Victims were promised to receive weekly or monthly pensions in return for their investment,” investigation shows
LAOAG CITY, Oct. 4, 2021–The National Bureau of Investigation has stepped up its probe in the alleged P100 million investment scam which has clandestinely operated here since last year, officials said.
Laoag NBI chief Hilario Manding confirmed the scam noting that the suspected scammer had allegedly swindled multi-million money from many victims since last year.
Investigation showed that “the victims were promised to receive weekly or monthly pensions in return for their investment.”
Reports said the NBI would gather all concrete legal evidence for the arrest and prosecution of the suspected scammer and accomplice if there is any.
Reports noted that many of the victims are local residents and others from abroad.
In a local broadcast interview here, two women living in the USA spoke in Ilocano and Tagalog and aired their complaint alleging that both of them and several others in their group lost their hard-earned dollar money to the said investment scam.
They angrily described the scammer as “Satanista” for robbing their money through online transactions.
“We’re like victims of “budol-budol” gang… she lured us to invest into her illegal activities using sugarcoated words. Sensing we’re cheated, we demanded her to return all our money but our repeated pleas were all in vain. In her replies, she gave many alibis until she finally cut off all her contact numbers,” the lady complainant spoke with temper over the overseas radio interview.
In Laoag, a couple claimed they also invested a total of P10 million in cash and never recovered their money.
Details showed that the couple had sent money to the suspect on June 28 and June 30, July 1 and July 5, all this year.
A village chieftain said several barangay mates who are alleged victims of the said investment scam went to seek help from his office about the same problem. (reports from Bombo-Laoag and DZJC-Laoag)