*Gov. MMM assures basic services are available
LAOAG CITY, Nov. 29, 2020 –Due to the spike in COVID-19 cases in this city, Ilocos Norte Governor Matthew Marcos Manotoc placed the entire city under a localized modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ) which took effect on Nov. 27, 2020.
In recent months, the whole province including Laoag City had already undergone MECQ as part of the health protocols issued by the national government’s Inter-Agency Task Force (IATF)
In the Governor’s online statement, it was explained that the localized MECQ in Laoag (a component city of Ilocos Norte) was decided based on the medical data and existing guidelines of the Department of Health (DOH).
Governor Manotoc assured that basic services are available while the city is under a strict community quarantine to contain the spread of the virus.
On Thursday, Laoag City Mayor Michael Marcos Keon held a press briefing where he announced the official declaration of MECQ in the entire city.
He said that people’s mass swab testing is being conducted in places where there were confirmed COVID positive cases.
“Under MECQ, there will be a mass swabbing. The contact tracers are working double-time, we have to stop the spread of COVID-19,” Mayor Keon said.
As three fish vendors were recently tested positive for COVID-19, the city government closed down the city public market for three days and disinfected it from the virus.
In view of the temporary market closure, every barangay set up a “talipapa” or wet market where prime commodities were sold to the buying public. (Ma. Joreina Therese A. Blanco/PIA Ilocos Norte)