900 studes got job last summer via PESO

LAOAG CITY, Mar. 9 (PIA) – The Public Employment Service Office in Ilocos Norte bagged the best performing PESO in Region 1 for 2014 for helping students got employed.
The provincial PESO had assisted last summer some 900 students under its Special Program for Employment of Students.

“The SPES program allows our students to experience work in real world to help them ease poverty,” Nicole Rudio, PESO head, said.

The program seeks to expose the youth to further their education by teaching them the valuable skills towards productive work.

Tasks included are assisting office staff, clerical and simple utility work, green/environment-related activities, and computer data encoding.

This is in support of Republic Act No. 9547 where the government provides work opportunities to students as a bridging program which caters to high school, college, vocational and out-of-school youth.

This year, the PESO has started hiring more than a thousand of students who will serve as tourist aides during the summer vacation and the holiday break under the SPES program.

Salary is pegged at P 311 per day with 60 percent of the wage coming from the provincial government and the remaining 40 percent to be paid by the DOLE.

The PESO spearheads the Task Force Trabaho program of the provincial government which aims to alleviate unemployment and ease poverty in the province. (Cherry Joy D. Garma, PIA-1, Ilocos Norte)