Mushroom downs family of 7

PIDDIG, Ilocos Norte, July 29–At least seven members of the Agustin family living in the outskirt of this town were believed to have been poisoned after they ate mushroom soup for meal, report said.

The victims’ elder harvested the mushroom from a nearby hill. As a mushroom soup, their mom cooked it mixed with malunggay leaves.

Shortly after their meal, the victims complained of severe abdominal pain, vomiting, dizziness, loose bowel movement and weakness.

Neighbors rushed them to the Piddig District Hospital. Dr. Myrna Hernaez, rural health officer, confirmed that the patients were victims of food poisoning.

At press time, the victims were declared by the doctor out of danger.

Meanwhile, provincial agriculturist Norma Lagmay said freshly-harvested mushrooms are safe to eat as long as they are properly washed with clean water and cooked well. Mushrooms with ring and black dots are not suited for human consumption, she said. (tsg/bbr/jg/ga)