LAOAG CITY, Sept 21 — The family of a six-year-old boy, whose arm was totally disabled when he accidentally touched a powerfully charged electric line, has agreed to settle with the power company to a P5 million-compensation.
The Ilocos Norte Electric Cooperative (INEC) board of directors had approved the payment in a board resolution earlier this month. The measure, however, needs the approval of the National Electrification Administration before INEC could release the amount.
INEC lawyer Marlon Wayne Manuel said the boy accidentally touched a power line that was installed beside the porch of the family residence and lost his right arm because of the electrocution. His arm had to be amputated from the elbow after the incident took place in March this year.
Manuel said INEC officials initially declined to enter into a compromise settlement when the victims’ lawyer demanded a compensation of P15 million.
“We were ready for a court battle and show that there was a contributory negligence on the part of the parents,” he said.
But the negotiations proceeded until the family and the INEC board agreed to a settlement of P5 million, he said.
“The boy is scarred for life. This was the principal consideration for the settlement,” he said.
The amount, which is intended for the boy’s future, is also being eyed to be spent in his medical treatment which consists of prosthetics and other medical needs.
Manuel said consumers have been assured that should NEA approves the settlement payment, the amount will be taken from INEC’s capital expenditures and at no additional cost to consumers in terms of additional power charges. (ANL/CCA-PIA 1, Ilocos Norte)